But My AD Group is Email Enabled!? So Why Can't I Send Alerts?

Well kids if you did not know about this little known bug now you do.  Even if you email enable your active directory group, then SharePoint may still not send alerts.  I have no idea why this problem occurs.  If you search for that AD Group, then you will notice no e-mail address will show up for that group even if it has an address attached...Well I did some googling and I found this beautiful article: http://blog.gavin-adams.com/2007/10/26/sending-alerts-to-groups-in-sharepoint-2007/.  Basically, what you need to do is shove your AD Group in a SharePoint Group and make sure it is added to the permissions for the site that you would like to add the alert.  Now you can add alerts and the e-mail address actually shows up in the user search.  I spent an entire week thinking it's not setup somehow in AD...We should not have to add an AD Group in a SharePoint Group.  It makes me wonder if this is a "feature" or "accident"...
Man I can't wait for 4:30 CDT...My body is not loving returning to work today...It feels like I am 10% healed and needs tons of r&r.

Print | posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 12:05 PM

Feedback

# re: But My AD Group is Email Enabled!? So Why Can't I Send Alerts?

Left by Gavin Adams at 5/8/2008 8:50 AM
Gravatar Hi Becky.
Thanks for linking to my article. I'm glad you found it beautiful. :)

Cheers,
Gavin

# re: But My AD Group is Email Enabled!? So Why Can't I Send Alerts?

Left by meera at 5/16/2008 5:18 AM
Gravatar How to set alerts to AD groups programmatically?If atleast one among the users of the AD group do not have email,won't it throw an error?

# re: But My AD Group is Email Enabled!? So Why Can't I Send Alerts?

Left by Prakash at 5/21/2008 5:23 AM
Gravatar Hi,

Eventhough I did the steps as you specified in your blog, still i didn't get any alert on the AD group. I have ensured that the AD group is shoved into Sharepoint and added into the site permissions as well. But still no results. Please help me resolve this issue.

# re: But My AD Group is Email Enabled!? So Why Can't I Send Alerts?

Left by MOSSLover at 5/21/2008 7:41 AM
Gravatar Did you put the AD Group into a SharePoint Group, then add that group? Or did you just add the AD Group alone?

# re: But My AD Group is Email Enabled!? So Why Can't I Send Alerts?

Left by LD at 6/25/2008 3:21 PM
Gravatar Whether I add the AD group to the permissions directly or nested in a SharePoint group and give that group Reader permissions, it doesn't bring in the email address. When I click on the group, the work e-mail field is empty. It works for groups in the same domain, but not for groups in other AD domains that I have a one-way trust created. It finds the group name, but not the work email address. Is there anything else that has to be done for groups in other domains.

(Regarding users in other domains, I import profiles and I have no problem with authentication or alerts).

# re: But My AD Group is Email Enabled!? So Why Can't I Send Alerts?

Left by LD at 9/25/2008 2:15 PM
Gravatar I chnanged the trust to a two-way and it works. It doesn't pull the email address in if it is a one-way trust.

# re: But My AD Group is Email Enabled!? So Why Can't I Send Alerts?

Left by daniel bomgardner at 9/11/2009 4:43 AM
Gravatar The groups are not able to receive alerts because, in exchange, groups are not able to receive unauthenticated emails. The configuration change needs to be made in Exchange, not SharePoint.

# re: But My AD Group is Email Enabled!? So Why Can't I Send Alerts?

Left by Krishnaveni at 2/17/2010 11:33 PM
Gravatar I added the AD group in sharepoint group and it is email enabled. Still alert notifications are not getting generated.

# re: But My AD Group is Email Enabled!? So Why Can't I Send Alerts?

Left by Claus at 3/30/2010 1:07 PM
Gravatar Remember to go into Exchange manager control and find the email enabled AD group and deselect that all have to be authenticated in order to send to it - otherwise it will not work.

Your comment: